We’re talking baby changing bags and what to pack for a successful outing with your mini tribe, disclaimer: no guarantee, toddler tantrums may still happen ! Joking aside, lately you lovely lot have been asking for recommendations on baby changing bags so I’ve put together a simple post sharing what I look for in a changing bag and what I pack when heading out!
Throughout my twenties, a bag was a bag, if it complimented the outfit, it was a winner! Then I became a Mum and then a Mum of two and jings how things quickly change. Leaving home with precious cargo, or in my case two bundles of precious cargo requires preparation and organisation, not an entire flitting, just the right items in the right bag and whaalaa, you got this Mama!
Having to pack for two babies means I have no room to overpack. Second time round I’ve learned that what is often known as winging it, is actually just having a little motherly confidence. If I leave home without something, it’s okay, we will survive. That being said, it can be a huge inconvenience for a poop explosions to occur mid food shop and that spare change of clothes is folded neatly on the arm of the sofa, not ideal!
Preparation is key, if I have a day out planned I pack my bag the night before. Trying to get out the house with a new born and a toddler is a task to say the least, having my bag packed the night before makes life that little bit easier.
So, what baby bag is right for me?
Before I go into great detail, I recently caught up with the lovely team at Children Salon, my go to boutique since Alf was born. We chatted all things baby bags and I got to try out some of the amazing baby changing bags they stock, I’ll link the catch up here.
I have a few different bags which I use depending on the outing! For example, I use a backpack when I’m out with my double pram as there isn’t room to hang a bag, a backpack works great here. I use my super stylish ‘I’m a trendy mum’ everyday bag on days where I’ve made a bit of an effort, coffee dates, shopping in the city, my everyday bag is practical and stylish. Then I have my ultimate organiser, pack it all in holdall changing bag for outings that require that little bit more, I also use this as an overnight bag!
Your baby changing bag should be a bag that fits your everyday lifestyle. If it’s practical and relevant to your lifestyle, if it’s comfortable and suited to your taste then it’s the right bag for you. The right bag is an investment and there are tonnes on the market spread across all budgets. It’s something you use almost every day, it’s definitely worth investing in.
So you’ve picked the perfect bag but just what do you pack for a day on the go? Here’s what you’ll find tucked neatly into my changing bag.
- Swaddles, I never leave home without them!
- Hand sanitiser
- Snacks for both Mum and baby, water!
- Spare change of clothes.
- Nappies, wipes, creams, nappy bags
- If needed Bottles, formula, milk powder dispenser (such a handy device to pick up)
- Comforter, dummy
- Purse, wallet, separate pouch for cards, money, phone, keys.
- Light baby blanket
My top tips when packing your baby bag;
- Get organised, pack early morning or the night before not whilst rushing out the door.
- Use compartments, I get rather excited about compartments, it’s a great way to double check what you’ve packed.
- Don’t overpack, one spare change of clothes and a few nappies is ample, your hands are already full, less is better on this occasion.
- Remember to pack for Mum/Dad too, water/snacks/phone charger!
- Don’t fret, whatever you forget, which mostly likely will happen at some point, I’m fairly confident you’ll be able to pick up whilst out and about.
- Be weather ready, blanket, umbrella, rain cover. Think ahead, plan ahead.
There we have it Mamas, with the right bag and a little organised packing, you totally got this! I’d love to hear what’s in you baby changing bag.
Hope you and your baba have a wonderful day out.
Until next time.